- Patrol in vehicle and on foot
- Identify wanted vehicles and persons; pursue and restrain suspects
- Respond to calls for emergency services under hazardous conditions
- Conduct investigations
- Collect and process evidence
- Communicate orally over radio channels
- Participate in community meetings
- Testify in court
They know how to communicate effectively and are respectful to the people with whom they deal. They respect basic human rights and are responsible for protecting the civil liberties of all persons. They work hard to earn the trust of the citizens they serve. If you are interested in a police career and desire further information, contact the Westminster Police Department at 410-848-4646.
Current OpeningsFor current and upcoming employment opportunities, review our jobs postings.
- Must be at least 21 years of age upon completion of the police training academy
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must posses a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Must possess a valid class D or C non-commercial driver's license, and a relatively clean driving record
- Must be in good psychological and physical condition.
- Must be of good moral character: no felony arrest(s) or misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, domestic violence, perjury or false statements
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills, a commitment to public service, problem solving skills, empathy and social tolerance
- Must meet the state standards for appointment and certification as a police officer as required by the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission
Equal Opportunity Employment
The Westminster Police Department commits to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees, complying with local, state and federal laws. The Westminster Police Department’s policy is to employ qualified persons without discrimination regarding race, creed, color, religion, age, sex, country of national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political affiliation, or status in any other group protected by federal/state/local law.