Historic District Tax Credits
Local Westminster Historic District Tax Credit
The City of Westminster offers a municipal property tax incentive to the owners of historic properties within the limits of the city's National Register District to undertake rehabilitation of maintenance of their properties in a historically sensitive manner. The requirements for qualifying for the historic tax credit are outlined in sections 143-5 of the City Code.
Your project may be eligible if you are repairing or replacing (in-kind) historic and/or non-historic features in a historic building as part of a rehabilitation project; or performing necessary repairs or maintenance work on the exterior of a historic structure. All work must be performed with the least possible impact on historic features and materials in order to be eligible. The project must also cost at least $5,000 and be completed within 2 years of preliminary approval.
- Complete pre-construction tax credit application form with appropriate documentation required per application.
- Community Planning and Development staff will schedule your application at a Historic District Commission meeting for their review.
- Historic District Commission reviews pre-application with determination of approval, denial or approval with conditions.
- Pre-approved property owner completes the project and stays in touch with Community Planning and Development staff on any change orders or significant price increases.
- Property owner completes a post-construction application with final construction costs, project description, completed photos of the project with all copies of paid invoices, canceled checks, and copy of tax receipt.
- Community Planning and Development staff will schedule your application at a Historic District Commission meeting for their final review.
- The final approved amount will be awarded in a certificate to the property owner and a check will be issued for the amount paid on the municipal property tax that year. The payments will be spread out among 5 years as necessary.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for Federal and State Tax Credit programs. Although the application process may be different, you can receive tax credits from all three government agencies for your one project.